Login

Educated Earth's Official Forum **You Can Login Via Your EEarth Account**

Register Member List Medals

Worst Natural Disaster Of All Time

The geological processes that shape the world we live in.

Worst Natural Disaster Of All Time

Postby Skywalker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm

What would you say was the worst natural disaster to ever hit the planet?
Skywalker

Medals: 2
Medal Of Pointiness (1) Athena Award (1)

Re: Worst Natural Disaster Of All Time

Postby Techno » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Probably the time a Mars sized planet smashed into the Earth, creating a ring of debris that formed the moon (source). Hard to have a bigger bang than that!
Techno

Medals: 1
Medal Of Pointiness (1)

Postby Tibor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 am

The meteor 65 million years ago. Such a great dust cloud blocked out the light, killing the plants, which in turn caused the dinosaurs to become extinct. Also, that meteor impact knocked the Earth off axis (approx 24.5 degrees) giving us what we term "seasons". Although this is a compelling hypothesis with substantial support, it remains controversial and has broad but not yet uniform acceptance within the scientific community. It is estimated that impacts of asteroids as large as the one thought responsible for the K-T extinction occur about once every hundred million years.
P.S. I was going to say that "man" has been the worst natural disaster the planet has ever seen!
"What appears alien to you may be familiar to me"
Tibor

Postby AverusBlack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 am

I dunno, the Permian extinction was worse than the dinosaur one. The siberian traps poured thousands of tons of lava across a space 2/3 the size of the continental US and it caused a chain reaction global warming that essentially shut down sea currents and raised the planets temperature by about 20°C. 95% of all life on the planet died in that, and it was nearly all of it, but at the 11th hour the Siberian traps finally stopped spewing lava and the last holdouts of life on earth became... us. The dinosaurs, and everything else, all bounced back from that 5%. The Permian took place 250 million years ago, long before the dinosaurs.
Realize
Real eyes
Real lies
AverusBlack
Site Admin

Postby Tibor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Averus, great insight! I was unaware of that phenomenon! Lets look at the second natural disaster I mentioned, that being man. Man, is the worst natural disaster the planet has seen. Man has wiped out so many species of animals, raped our forests, polluted our water, contaminated our air. Man is still destroying the planet. It will only stop when man ceases to exist, then and only then will the planet begin to cleanse itself of man's evil ways.
"What appears alien to you may be familiar to me"
Tibor

Return to Earth Sciences